Thursday, November 3, 2022

Cubby vs. Pirates (and Bubbles)

Bubbles and Troubles (1933)
Starring: Anonymous Voice Actors (mostly speaking nonsense)
Director: Mannie Davis
Rating: Five of Ten Stars

When his girlfriend is abducted by pirates, only Cubby can save her!

A scene from "Bubbles and Troubles" (1933)

This Cubby adventure came together better than I had anticipated when it opened. What initially feels like it's going to be a boring mess of unconnected, nonsensical gags--in short order, Cubby goes from doing stunts on his bicycle, to performing magic tricks with soap bubbles to being inflated by one of the bubbles and floating away into the sky--ends up coming together in an amusing and creative fashion when the bubbles of the title end up being central to story as it unfolds.

Almost every moment involving the pirates and their ship from the point the captain decides he wants to add Cubby's girlfriend to his treasure hoard is also a lot of fun. The launching of the longboat was especially amusing. I liked these pirates so much that it's a little hard for me judge whether they're defeated a little too easily, or whether I just feel that way because I wanted to see more of them.

As with the majority of Van Beuren's animated shorts, the use of music is the greatest aspect of "Bubbles and Troubles". The music adds tremendously to this film, and I don't know if I've ever quite experienced "The Sailor's Hornpipe" used so perfectly anywhere before.

But don't just take my word for it. Click below, sit back, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment