Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Alice experiences war in Cartoonland

Alice's Little Parade (1926)
Starring: Margie Gay
Director: Walt Disney
Rating: Five of Ten Stars

War breaks out in Cartoonland, and Alice (Gay) leads her animated friends into battle!


I keep hoping that I'll come across an "Alice" film that will show the spark of genius that will, a few years later, would put Walt Disney on the path to building a entertainment empire. However, all I find is proof that his talent was recognizing talent in others and putting that talent to maximum commerical use... but when Disney was helming his own animation projects, they fall short of what was being produced by other animators and studios.

The problems with "Alice's Little Parade" start with the title. It has almost no connection with what happens in this episode. Sure, she parades her troops before they go into battle, but there was more of a parade in the first Alice cartoon than what's in this one. It would have been far better served by a title that invoked what it was about--a war between factions of cartoon characters. (I do realize that the title is a reference to "The Big Parade" (1926), a movie about WWI, but I don't think it serves the cartoon well.)

A more severe problem is the lazy animation. A couple sequences are looped to the point of tedium--the film opens with one of them--and the backgrounds are so sparse that I think that even the Van Beuren animators would feel bad about cashing the paychecks earned creating them.

Finally, although the integration of the live-action footage of the little girl, Alice, was better than in other installments of this series I've watched, there was still very little of it. Compared to the Max Fleischer series that also mixed live-action footage with animation, "Out of the Inkwell", this is a weak effort. Perhaps Disney was constrained by the fact that his live-action performer was a very young child? That might be a sensible theory, as Margie Gay who appears as Alice in this film had already done more than a dozen of them, so maybe it was possible to get a little more elaborate? I will have to specifically look for a few entries toward the end of her 31-episode run to see if that notion holds up.

With all this negativity, you might be wondering why I awarded this film a Five-Star rating. Well, it's a very low Five, but it's based mostly on the fact that I found the portrayal of war between animated characters in this film fascinating. Although it's half-baked (like almost everything about the "Alice in Cartoonland"), there's enough here to show how surreal a conflict between beings who can reshape themselves and their environment at will, can be. (I also loved the cartoon animal field hospital; I don't know whether Disney was making a fourth-wall joke about how generic all the animated characters are in this series, but that's how it came across to me, and I thought it was spot-on as a bit of self-deprecating humor.

"Alice's Little Parade" is great, but it's not completely without merit either. I recommend checking it out if you like early animation... and I invite you to use the Comments section if you think I'm off-base with this review. (The version I've embedded is interesting in that it features a recently composed score that was recorded and synched before a live audience, and features partial restoration to the point where it looks much better than most of the surviving Cartoonland installments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment