Sunday, October 10, 2021

Bones Coffee's From Dusk 'Till Donuts

With Halloween approaching, we're going to be spotlighting seasonally appropriate coffee blends for you to check out!

George Clooney drinking coffee
Does George Clooney Drink Coffee From Dusk 'Till Dawn? Yes!

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: FROM DUSK 'TILL DONUTS
This is another blend from Bones Coffee Company that I ordered because the name and packaging amused me with its obvious refences to to the great horror film "From Dusk 'Till Dawn". I didn't have high expectations for the blend itself--jelly donut flavored coffee... really?--but I was wrong about the Maple Bacon blend, so maybe I was going to be wrong about this one, too.

Like some of the other Bones blends I've tried, hints of things to come were evident as soon as I opened the 4-oz. bag of pre-ground coffee and took a sniff: A pleasant aroma of coffee and a sweet fruity smell filled my nostrils. There wasn't a particularly strong scent as the coffee brewed--the usual smell of coffee was present in the kitchen, with a hint of the fruitiness I smelled earlier, but it didn't wasn't strong enough to make it down the hallway and into my office.

The first sip of the coffee poured straight from the pot into the mug reflected this; as I drank it straight, the From Dusk to Donuts had the smoothness of a good medium-roast, with a sweet undertone that satisfied my desire to add almond milk or creamer. As I took a few more sips, the sweetness intensified, and I tasted a strong flavor of grape jelly that lingered in my mouth. Adding unsweetened almond milk brought that flavor of jelly to the forefront and between the two of them, the taste of the coffee was almost completely obscured. And, just like I'd been surprised that Maple Bacon worked as coffee flavor, I found myself enjoying From Dusk to Donuts despite expectations, both with and without milk.

One thing I found amazing about this blend is that it is basically the same if you drink it hot or iced. I find that flavors seem to shift in intensity or change entirely (with the Sinn-a-Bun blend being the most extreme example of this I've encountered in the Bones Coffee line-up so far). When you first start drinking it, dominant flavor is coffee, but the grape jelly taste grows stronger the more you drink, lingering in your mouth even after the cup is empty. This remains true even after adding unsweetened almond milk.

All in all, From Dusk to Donuts was a pleasant surprise, and I recommend it to any coffee drinker who's looking for a somewhat unusual treat as the months begin to grow colder (at least in my part of the world.)


Here's a link to a Pinterest page that's semi-related to this topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment