Sunday, October 17, 2021

Bones Coffee's Frankenbones

Halloween is two weeks away... so it seems like a great time to review one more coffee blend with marketing inspired by a classic literary horror character and a whole slew of movies: Frankenstein's Monster.
 

 

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: FRANKENBONES
Some of the flavored Bones Coffee blends I've tried over the past few months filled my home with delightful aromas as they brewed. Sometimes that aroma matched the expected and/or advertised flavor,  other times it was something of a misdirect. Sometimes the tastes of the blends are subtle, sometimes they're so overwhelming so has to barely be drinkable.

With Frankenbones--a blend that, according to Bones' sell-copy is "here to delight your taste buds in ways that science never thought possible"--the Florida-based company delivered medium-roast with flavors so subtle I had to look them up, because the "Frankenstein"-inspired cartoon and text on the packaging didn't give any hints as to what I was to expect, nor did the aroma as the coffee brewed.

The flavor of Frankenbones, according to the Bones Coffee website, is hazelnut and chocolate. I picked up on the hints of chocolate and perhaps a faint hint of nuts, but the overall effect was of coffee that goes down so smooth that it was as if I'd already added some milk or creamer to it. Once I added unsweetened almond milk, the nutty flavor came out a bit stronger (maybe hazelnut plus almond... even if almond milk doesn't really taste like almonds to me?), but when I tried the blend with the sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream creamer, the chocolate flavor seemed like it was more noticeable. 

In all three cases--whether I drank Frankenbones straight, with unsweetened almond milk, or with the creamer--the coffee flavor was at fore with the other tastes mixing in and adding smoothness. Even as the coffee cooled to room temperature (which it almost always does for me, as I drink slowly), the tastes remain consistent and stable. Hot or at room temperature, this is a fabulous tasting coffee.

Cold and over ice, the hazelnut flavor seems to come out a bit stronger whether unsweetened almond milk or sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream creamer is added--although the chocolate once again popped with the Italian Sweet Cream in the mix. I also tried it iced with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which mixed nicely with the chocolate and brought to mind something you might get at a place like Starbucks (only far cheaper and far more convenient).

Whether you drink Frankenbones hot or cold, or somewhere in between; whether you drink it with milk or creamer added, this is another offering from the Bones Coffee Company that I think you'll like. I certainly did!


No comments:

Post a Comment