Sunday, July 18, 2021

Bones Coffee's Maple Bacon Blend

A little while back, I ordered some coffee from Florida-based Bones Coffee Company because the name of the blend amused me--Army of Dark Chocolate. It was so good that I ordered a whole bunch of 4-oz. sample packs of their amusingly named blends (and a few of their 'straight' ones) to try them... and to post brief reviews of them here at the blog--because what's more black than coffee... or more white than the unsweetened almond milk I pour in it? (Okay, REAL milk is whiter than almond milk, but just go with it, okay?)

Vincent Price takes a coffee break
All the cool people drink coffee, like Vincent Price!

I'm starting this new type of post with a blend I ordered, expecting NOT to like, but the concept was so odd I had to try it: Maple Bacon.

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: MAPLE BACON 
The Maple Bacon blend is a medium roast, made with Brazilian Arabica beans. I admit that I a sample  the idea of bacon flavored coffee seems... well, absolutely terrible. Yeah, I know bacon is supposed to go with everything, and I DO eat bacon while drinking coffee... but didn't think much of the idea of bacon IN coffee!

The first thing I noticed about this blend was how great it smelled while brewing. It didn't just smell like coffee--it smelled like maple syrup. Even better, when I took the first sip from my mug, I discovered it didn't taste much like bacon at all. It has a sweet and salty flavor to it, with a maple flavor coming through strong enough that someone (like me) who hardly ever drinks their coffee black could do so with this.

When drinking the Maple Bacon blend with added almond milk (unsweetened), the undercurrent of bacon flavor emerges more strongly become more of a clear flavor than just a touch of saltiness. It's not so strong so as to be off-putting, but instead adds a fascinating flavor twist.

The Maple Bacon blend is equally good hot or iced. Interestingly, when I drank it iced, the bacon flavor seemed to come through even stronger. (That could just have been my imagination though.)

If you like coffee, I recommend giving this a try!

 

Here's a Pinterest page that relates to this topic: Famous People Drinking Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment