Sunday, August 22, 2021

Bones Coffee's French Vanilla

It's time for another review of a flavored coffee blend. This time, I'm trying their version of a classic -- French Vanilla.

Brigitte Bardot drinking coffee
It's a French Hottie with French Vanilla Coffee!

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: FRENCH VANILLA

French Vanilla is a go-to flavor around here; it's a rare and unhappy day that there isn't a bottle of sugar-free French Vanilla creamer in the fridge. Since coffee with some stripe and degree of vanilla flavor added is my go-to, ordering the Bones Coffee French Vanilla blend was a no-brainer. I've tried similar blends from other companies and they've ranged from "that wasn't just a straight medium roast?" to "meh... there was some vanilla there, but what's with the stale taste when I literally just made it?". 

The only blend French Vanilla blend I recall being any good was the one from Seattle's Best Coffee, but I'm assuming its long gone, having been absorbed with its maker into Starbucks and the land of bitter-tasting coffee. So... how did the Bones French Vanilla blend stack up to my memory of a coffee from over a decade ago?

Quite nicely, in fact. 

This review is based on a 4-oz. pre-ground beans, and the coffee was brewed in a drip coffeemaker. This blend has as its basis medium-roasted beans, which I imagine surprises no one reading this. 

As the coffee brewed, I didn't notice anything other than the aroma of coffee coming from the pot, and it wasn't anything beyond what I usually experience or expect--there was no scent of vanilla wafting down the hall into my office as has happened with some previous Bones products (like the Jingle Bells blend, for example). Once poured into my mug, however, I noticed a very vanilla aroma--and when I took a few sips, the coffee was very smooth and the vanilla taste was pleasing and noticeable. If you're the sort of person who likes your coffee black with perhaps just a little sugar or milk in it, I think you wouldn't mind starting your day or ending your dinner with a cut of this. As for myself, I could have continued drinking it straight, but it became far more enjoyable after I added some unsweetened almond milk. When I tried it with a unsweetened almond milk and a dash of sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream coffee creamer, I liked it even more; the vanilla flavor seemed to be slightly enhanced in both cases.

Iced, the French Vanilla blend was smooth and sweet enough that I could drink a cup without feeling like it needed any milk or creamer. The vanilla flavor wasn't as detectable as it was when this coffee was consumed hot, but it came out more clearly when I added unsweetened almond milk.

This is another Bones Coffee blend that I recommend to you wholly and without qualification.


No comments:

Post a Comment