Sunday, August 8, 2021

The Dude Would Name This as His Favorite...

This was among the first of the blends I ordered from Florida-based Bones Coffee Company, because I was amused by the artwork and obvious callback to "The Big Lebowski". It turns out that it ranks among my favorite so far.

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: WHITE RUSSIAN
Bones Coffee's White Russian blend is another one of their flavored medium roasts that's just as tasty as its novelty packaging is amusing.

In preparation for this review, I first educated myself on what a White Russian is supposed to taste like. My liquor of choice happens to be vodka, and I am as enamored with flavored vodkas I am with flavored coffee. And like coffee, I rarely drink my vodka straight, even the flavored kinds; I tend to make mixed drinks with milk, fruit juices, or soda.

With that said, why would I need to educate myself on what a White Russian is supposed to taste like? Well, because my idea of a "White Russian" for years was vodka and milk over ice while a "Black Russian" was vodka and chocolate milk--which is what I did for myself at home. As you can tell, there's been a key component missing, namely Kahlua.

In preparation for this review, I got a bottle of Kahlua and mixed and drank a range of White Russians, using different milks and creamers and even matching the shade of the White Russian cocktails consumed by the Dude himself. 

Because I am all about self-sacrifice and going the extra mile for my readers. You take the trouble of clicking through to the blog and reading the posts, so I put as much effort into making them as humanly possible... including the sloshed on cocktails and buzzed on flavored coffee!

So--White Russian from Bones Coffee Company. Good or bad?

I say very, very good. 

While brewing, I didn't really notice any particular aroma beyond what usually issues forth from my drip coffee maker as it worked its magic. From the first sip of the White Russian coffee blend--as it had been poured into my mug--the flavor of the Dude's favorite cocktail was on my tongue. When I added a little unsweetened almond milk to the coffee, the flavor of the liquor and the edge of vodka popped even stronger. The blend captures the taste and sensation of White Russians perfectly, and it gets better if a little milk or creamer is added.  

The White Russian flavor remains strong and intact when this brew is consumed iced. This makes it even more satisfying, because that is how the cocktail the blend emulates is consumed. I recommend this highly to anyone who likes flavored coffees, and who might want to start their day with a White Russian but doesn't want to start the day intoxicated.

Ballerina drinking coffee
Can Bolshoi Ballerinas Binge Coffee? 'Course!



One thing I SHOULD have done in the course of this review was seeing what happened if I added vodka to a cup of this blend. I have a bottle of chocolate-flavored vodka in the freezer, and I think it would mix wonderfully with this blend of coffee. But, by the time I had this thought, I'd finished off all of the White Russian blend. Down the road, I will have to get some more and do some experiments. I will provide updates here when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment