Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Picture Perfect Wednesday:
Beautiful Horror from Estaban Maroto


If I made a list of my Top Twenty favorite artists, Estaban Maroto would be somewhere on it. Whether seeing his pen illustrating romance comics or horror comics, I've loved his style since I first encountered him. In case you haven't had the pleasure, here's an opportunity.

I've linked to several posts at Joe Bloke's excellent Grantbridge Street & Other Misadventures blog where you can read a couple Maroto-illustrated stories in their entirety. (I'm too lazy to do all that scanning, so we can thank Joe for his industriousness!)

Wolf Hunt (from Vampirella Magazine #14)
(The sexy werewolf on the title page on this bears a striking resemblence to the one onthis poster for "Werewolf Woman". I wonder who was swiping from whom.)

Gender Bender (from Vampirella Magazine #20)

4 comments:

  1. Estaban Maroto is fantastic! The textures on his pages are unreal, full of vigor and raw sexual energy. No artist I've ever seen could render a woman more seductive, even the great pin-up artists fall before the intoxicating images of Maroto.

    His storytelling might get a bit confusing, but finding your way through it all was an amazing journey.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his stuff. I have a set of beautiful full-colour Maroto posters that I bought in my early 'twenties. long time ago. they've never been hung up. I just get them out and look at them, every now and then.

    thanks for all that linkage there, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe: It was my pleasure... and there's more to come, as you've posted some stories I've been wanting to read for some 30 years.

    ReplyDelete