Sunday, May 15, 2022

Bones Coffee's Sumatra Single Origin

I checked out another unflavored coffee, and it became the subject of this Sunday's review.

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: SUMATRA SINGLE ORIGIN
Among Bones' offerings is a "World Tour Sample Pack" that features five different coffees from five different parts of the world. I already did a kinda-sorta review of the Bones Costa Rica Single Source blend (in the lower half of this linked post), but I will be covering all the World Tour varieties eventually. And here are my thoughts on the Sumatra Single Source blend.

As could perhaps be deduced from above, this review is based on a 4-oz. sample pack, as are most of my Bones Coffee reviews. Unsurprisingly, the package released a smell of coffee when opened, and a nice strong aroma filled the kitchen as the hot water percolated through the ground coffee.

Unlike most coffees I drink and review, this blend is a dark roast, and, based on what I read, that is the best approach to Sumatran-grown beans. In general, Sumatran coffees are said to have earthy undertones, along with hints of herbs and spices. Bones' sell-copy for their Sumatran blend stated it should have earthy and smoky qualities, and that there should be some dark chocolate flavor in the mix. (I also read that, like with most coffee growing regions, there is no one-flavor-fits-all... that there are many factors that go into shaping the taste in a particular coffee. So I suppose chocolate touches in place of herbs and spices could be possible?)

As dark roasts go, I found the Sumatra Single Origin to be quite pleasant-tasting. Even drinking it black, I found it to be far less bitter than almost any other dark roasts I've had. I credit the supposed chocolatey undertones as well as the somewhat smokey quality that was definitely present as I drank. This is a strong and bold coffee that I think most coffee lovers will enjoy.

As someone who likes his coffee on the sweeter and mellower side, I preferred the Sumatra Single Origin blend when I drank it with the sugar free Italian Sweet Cream creamer, because, well, it was sweet and creamy with the coffee flavor still standing strong. It kept more of an edge when I tried it with the Unsweetened Almond Milk, but a packet of Stevia pushed it more in the perfect direction. In a small deviation from my usual review protocol, I tried a cup of Sumatra with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk; the vanilla flavor and chocolate undertones seemed to enhance each other, and this was a very enjoyable drink. A touch more vanilla, and I suspect it might have been perfect.  All of the above remained true as the mixtures cooled to room temperature.

Over ice, I think the Sumatra Single Origin worked best black with a little Stevia added (which surprised me). It was also quite delicious with the Unsweetened Almond Milk. Interestingly, the coffee flavor seemed a bit washed out when I tried it with the sugar free Italian Sweet Cream creamer. Over all, though, I think this is a coffee that works best hot or at room temperature.

(That said, since I thought this blend might get tastier with a stronger touch of vanilla, I tried it in my half-assed version of a "White Russian", but using Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk and vanilla flavored vodka... and it was very, VERY tasty!)

Despite having enjoyed, to a greater or lesser degree, every cup of the Sumatra Single Origin blend that drank, I will probably avoid Sumatran coffee in the future. Why? Because while I've often heard that coffee is supposed to give you gas, this is the first time my buzz has resulted in exhaust fumes.



So... if you're ever trapped with me and five other people in a lift and you are trying to figure out who dealt what you have smelled, ask what I've been drinking coffee-wise. If I've been drinking Sumatran coffee, you will have to look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment