Sunday, September 12, 2021

Bones Coffee's Wunderbones

I recently ordered the Fall Favorite Sample Pack from Bones Coffee Company, along with one of their logo-sporting mugs because I dropped and shattered one of mine recently (it was empty; no coffee was harmed in the making of these posts). My main motivation. though, was to get a sample pack of the new Frankenbones blend for review during October... but an unexpected included item (unexpected just because I didn't notice it) was the Wunderbones blend.

Man with beersteins
Nine of ten Bavarians say Wunderbones should be served in beer steins.
The tenth was passed out because he drank beer instead of coffee.


BONES COFFEE COMPANY: WUNDERBONES
More so than many other Bones Coffee flavored blends, I came to Wunderbones not knowing what to expect. The name and the cartoon of the company's mascot wearing lederhosen and holding a beer stein invoked the idea of Oktoberfest, so I imagined this coffee could taste like anything from beer to pretzels to wienerschnitzel to sauerkraut. The package did establish it's a medium-roast, so that's a good start...

This review is based on a 4-oz. sample pack of the blend. When I opened it, the pre-ground coffee smelled faintly of pretzels, so I thought the mystery of what this coffee would taste like solved. I then got to thinking what pretzel-flavored coffee would taste like and if this could possibly be any good? The Bones People have previously shown that I shouldn't doubt them, so I hoped they'd come through on this one, too.

As this blend brewed, there wasn't any aroma aside from the coffee itself, and the same is true of what was the pot and mug once I poured it. When I took the first few sips, the coffee had a tangy, slightly salty flavor to it. It was very faint, and it reminded me more of the chai tea drinks I sometimes get from Starbucks and eateries I frequented back before the Covid Times. I guess that could be a beer-like flavor?

Honestly, I couldn't tell what this coffee was supposed to taste like, other than tangy and salty. So I check the Bones Coffee website to see their intent was. And, sure enough, the blend was supposed to taste like coffee and salted pretzels. 

I wasn't sure that they'd gotten it right. I confess that I didn't make the effort to get pretzels and a cup of unflavored coffee and dip them in it. I may be dedicated to bringing you all informative and entertaining coffee reviews, but I'm not THAT dedicated! 

So--if you drink this blend straight, you'll detect a faint taste of something tangy, plus salt. The saltiness lingers in your mouth as you drink this blend, and it's a very nice aftertaste that mixes well with the coffee flavor. It's interesting, but it's not what Bones was shooting for.

That is until you add some additional ingredients and that's where the Wunderbones started to get a little weird. It's happened before that adding milk or creamer, or drinking the blend cold, changed or expanded flavors--and it happened here, in spades.

First, when I drank a hot cup with unsweetened almond almond milk, there was no significant change. As expected, the coffee flavor and the spicy saltiness both retreated, although that pleasant salty aftertaste remained almost as strong as before. But then, when I made a cup mixed with sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream creamer, the coffee taste retreated but the flavor of pretzels and  salt grew more intense and disearnable. It was pretty much what I imagined a pretzel dipped in coffee should taste like... only not disgusting. In fact, it was the opposite of disgusting. Once again, Bones mixed flavors that worked beyond my ability to imagine them. The flavor also remained relatively stable as it cooled--although the saltiness grew more intense, it did not grow overwhelming nor did it seem out of place like it did with a similar effect in the Sinn-O-Bun blend. Still, you don't want to let your cup of Wunderbones sit for too long; it should be consumed while hot.

With that comment in mind, how does Wunderbones do when iced? Surprisingly well!

When consumed cold and over ice, the salted pretzel flavor that Bones Coffee wanted for this blend is front and center! There was even a strong sensation of salt lingering on the lips, just like there would be if you ate a salted pretzel. It had been present when the coffee was hot, but it took time to build; not so when it's iced. Interestingly, when I added the sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream creamer, it washed out rather than enhanced the pretzel taste. The saltiness remained strong, though.

The Wunderbones blend seems work best when chilled and over ice, since you get the full salted pretzel experience without needing to add anything. If you don't like iced coffee, you need to drink it while hot with just a little creamer or sweetener added.

No comments:

Post a Comment