Sunday, March 20, 2022

Bones Coffee's Chocolate Orange

Coffee, Computer, and Clip Art Comfort
Sunday mornings are for relaxing in bed, drinking coffee,
and seeing what coffee Steve recommends for future Sundays!


I tried another wacky coffee flavor, and I wrote down some thoughts. 

BONES COFFEE COMPANY: CHOCOLATE ORANGE
This is one of those Bones Coffee offerings I didn't know what to expect from. Coffee and orange; those aren't exactly flavors I think offhand would go well together... and I'm a guy who likes mixing orange juice and Diet Cherry Coke. But, they've surprised and delighted me before, so I hoped they'd do so again.  

(The packaging on this one is another of their film-based cartoons, although it wasn't until I was looking at while the first pot was brewing that I recognized the reference to the chocolate river and Oompa Loompas, and Charlie from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".)

The Chocolate Orange blend is a medium roast, so that already provides a smooth foundation upon which to build... and one which the Bones roasters have shown time and again that they are capable of. Like most of the blends from them that I've reviewed (and will be reviewing), I brewed the coffee from a 4-oz. sample pack of pre-ground coffee.

The aroma from the bag when I opened it was a pleasing mix of coffee and orange and a hint of chocolate. As the coffee brewed, I thought I could smell a faint hint of orange in the kitchen, but the smell was not as strong as it had been with certain other Bones Coffee blends.

When I drank the first hot cup, there was no disearnable aroma from it, but there was a chocolaty taste from and center immediately. It was not overwhelming and it blended perfectly with the coffee flavor. I've previously spoken of my wimpy palate and how I more-often-than-not must cut the coffee I drink with almond milk or creamer. The Chocolate Orange blend has a coffee flavor that is just intense enough that I had to add some Unsweetened Almond Milk after a few sips, and that seemed to bring out the chocolate flavor more strongly while dialing back the coffee. The orange was present as as slight twang, barely noticeable. I didn't try it with the sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream, because I was out and the grocery store was out of stock on the day I ordered by groceries.

The tastes remained essentially the same when I tried this cold and over ice, but they were slightly more muted. I think this is a blend that is most enjoyable when it is hot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment