Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Taking pictures can be deadly

Black and White (2017? 1987? ???)
Starring: Bobby and Nikitha
Director: Karthik Subbaraj
Rating: Six of Ten Stars

A celebrated photographer (Bobby) receives a mysterious camera that literally captures life through its lens. 


"Black and White" is an interesting flick with a strong Twilight Zone vibe. It ends on a serious cliffhanger and every single mystery that arises as it unfolds remains unanswered, without even the slightest indications of what the answers might be. Normally that would bug me to the point where I'd knock the rating a Star or Two but in this case the film moves swiftly and is filled with enough tension throughout that the lack of answers at the end didn't bother me all that much. In fact, this is one of those films that stirred my imagination, and I would love seeing a sequel. I might even make a post about how Bessie Love came across an enchanted camera and took it out of the hands of evil-doers.

With that said, this film is also a bit of a mystery in and of itself. I was unable to track down any history on it through my usual half-assed research, so I can't tell if it's a film that dates from the 1970s or 1980s, or just is made to look like it due to the technology that's featured. If it is a period piece, it's quite well done, with only one major possible slip-up that I noticed. (I know that the Bobby character uses the 35-milimeter camera different than I recall doing in several ways. I can't say if this is the crew and actor having limited knowledge of how such cameras actually worked, or if I just had different habits.)

Why don't you take a few minutes and check out this mysterious little film. I think you'll enjoy it!

2 comments: