Wednesday, January 6, 2021

2021: The Year of the Avengers

Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee in "The Avengers"

Not too long ago, I realized that there were 51 episodes of "The Avengers" that co-starred Diana Rigg and Patrick Macnee. So, the decision was made on the spot that 2021 was going to be the Year of the Avengers at Shades of Gray, like 2000 had been The Year of the Hot Toddy.

The flaw in that plan, though, is that 26 of the episodes starring Diana Rigg are in black and white, but the rest are in color, with the episodes for the 1965 season being the last that were shot in black-and-white before the show converted to color in 1966.


Still, starting tomorrow, and then on every other Thursday for the rest of the year, I intend to post my thoughts on an episode of the series that originally aired on television in 1965. On the "off-weeks", there will be a photo-gallery related to "The Avengers" and its cast members.

If things go well, I'll revive my old Watching the Detectives blog and cover the 1966 color episodes over there.

I hope you will come by for my comments on these television classics, as I watch them for the first time. Despite all I've heard about the Patrick Macnee/Diana Rigg-led episodes of "The Avengers", it's just now that I'm getting around to them. (Previously I've only seen a few of the episodes where Honor Blackman played John Steed's partner, Cathy Gale. The promotional photos I'd seen for the 1965/66 seasons, as well as what I've heard, made it clear there was a drastic shift in tone when they gave Steed a permanent partner.)



By way of a warm-up, here's a pre-credit sequence that was added to the series when it was broadcast in the United States. In 1964, the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) brought the rights to "The Avengers", and the series aired more or less simultaneously in both the U.S. and its country of origin, Great Britain. It was felt the characters and what they did needed a proper introduction to the Americans, so this very neat little opener was created. 

(I say "neat", even while wondering if the writer wo scripted the voice-over and the executive who approved it had even watched so much as the first episode with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel. It is clear from the outset that, like John Steed, Mrs. Peel is a top, professional secret agent and not a "talented amateur" as she is described... unless they're referring to the fact that she dabbles in several advanced science disciplines? Although, as I typed that sentence, I remembered references here and there during the series that also seemed to hint at Mrs. Peel not being a full-time agent. Personally, I find that notion fantastic, given what Steed involves her in, time and again. I realize that "The Avengers" is basically a live-action comic book, but even with Emma Peel's background as the sole heir to her father's company and fortune--especially because of that background--it taxes my imagination that she is some sort of volunteer or part-time consultant.)



(This opening is NOT included in the DVD collection that is forming the basis of the reviews series. I consider this an oversight. It should have been included as an "extra" or "bonus feature.")




No comments:

Post a Comment