Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Two guys have coffee

Coffee (2002)
Starring: Eric Bosse and Paul Vaughn
Director: Robert Vaughn
Rating: Six of Ten Stars

Two men (Bosse and Vaughn) have some coffee and conversation over breakfast.

Eric Bosse and Paul Vaughn in 'Coffee"

"Coffee" is a short film that is more artsy than artsy. It is so coy (and yet so heavyhanded) in its references, double-entendres and symbolism that it's easy to mistake it for a sincerely "intellectual" and "deep" effort instead of a film poking fun at those sorts of efforts.

I don't know anything about the film or those who made it. My half-assed attempts at research have all failed to give me clear verification that this is the same One-Eyed Films that produced these films as this one, because it's not listed there... but neither are any of the people involved with said company. It's not the way I would design a website intended to promote my film, but then what do I know? Also, the YouTube channel upon which I found this short has'nt been updated in about a decade, links to a blog that's marked private, and contains no information about the who or why of the page. (Since Eric Bosse was involved in several of the shorts found there, I imagine that it might have been his channel, but I can't find any information that lets me know for certain. I similarly can't pin down either actor featured in "Coffee".

So, while I think this is a fun little satire on artsy dramas/slice-of-life films, I could be wrong. You can watch it and let me know what YOU think in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment