Monday, December 6, 2021

Musical Monday with Atarashii Gakko!

Atarashii Gakki! leaping into the future

Atarashii Gakko! is a Japanese rock girl band whose schtick is being weird and/or dancing in school uniforms. The topics of their song are school-related, pop-culture related, or horror/B-movie level sci-fi related; it some ways, it's what a girl band would be like if they originated in an anime/manga universe and their reality is now overlapping with ours. Their musical styles range from jazzy (as you'll see in the video below) to hip-hop to hard-rock edged pop.

Atrashii Gakko! formed in 2015 when its members were in their mid-teens. They are now all in their early 20s, so they'll either be breaking up for solo careers or re-inventing themselves any day now.

Meanwhile, here's a sample of what they offer via a video from 2019...





A fan posted the English translation of the song's lyrics to YouTube. Here they are for ease of reference:

--
Crossing Gate of Love 
The feeling of love that I can't tell anyone about 
Our eyes naturally meet 
The Desire Behind the Student Handbook 
You are the only one who I can consult. 

I said it many times to you... 
(Mizyu) "I can't help it, he confessed to me..." 
I like him so much. 
Why are you going out with him? 

I can't see anything. 
I don't need anything. 
I can meet him tomorrow again so I'm happy 
I almost forgot the light of love 
You are the only one who I can consult. 

I said it many times to you... 
(Mizyu) "I can't help it, he confessed to me..." 
I like him so much. 
Oh no! you're going out with him? 

I like him so much. 
I opened my heart and I told you my secret 
I like him so much. 
Why are you going out with him? 

I said many times to you... 
(Mizyu) "I can't help it, he confessed to me..." 
I like him so much. 
You are my Crossing Gate of Love.
--

If you're not afraid of color (and lots of strangeness), then you should click here and then here for a look at the music videos that first put these four young ladies on our radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment