Thursday, June 4, 2020

'The Portrait' is a well-done early horror film

The Portrait (1915)
Starring: Andrey Gromov and Ivan Lazarev
Director: Wladyslaw Starewicz
Rating: Six of Ten Stars

A young artist (Gromov) buys a painting to liven up his cramped rooms. He soon comes to regret his choice, as the painting begins to change and come to life...


"The Portrait" is a rare silent horror movie that holds up to modern viewing in almost every respect. Sure, the main character is a bit over the top in his emoting, but he's not as bad as what I've seen in other films of this period. The practical effects are well done, and all the bits of business surrounding the painting coming to life are creepy and well staged. It's almost perfect.

Almost.

Unfortunately, this is one case where I desperately wanted there to be the sort of "shocking" surprise twist-ending" that's usually anything but surprising that I so often complain about in the reviews I post to Terror Titans. This film would actually have benefitted from something--almost anything--else than its actual ending. I understand why it ended the way it did... I just wish it hadn't.

But what don't you judge for yourself. Check out "The Portrait" below, and let me know if you agree with my estimation of the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment