Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Picture Perfect Wednesday:
Christmas Visitor for Naughty Kids


In 1925, a young Joan Crawford posed for this Christmas-themed publicity photo. It doesn't have the playful air these things usually have. I can't quite decide whether she looks unhappy, stern, or angry. I imagine they were going for seductive, but Crawford didn't manage to project that.

So, what is going on in the photo?

For me, this picture portrays the elf who visits really naughty kids on Christmas Eve and takes gifts they got from people other than Santa and either leaves coal or broken toys in their place.

(What? You thought I was going somewhere else?)

3 comments:

  1. I'd say the look she's going for is 'uncomfortable'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she would be visiting any muslim houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew: I think you're right. And if were six feet up on edge of a set-piece held up by ladders, I'd probably have the same look on my face. :)

    Tom: I think you're right also. :)

    ReplyDelete